Old Secretary

Thoughts and jottings of an old legal secretary, now retired with lots of time to think and scribble. Look for political comments, life stories and tales of people I know and have known . . .

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

This and That

MIAMI VICE, the Movie: Huge disappointment. As one of those mid-life women who stayed at home on Friday evenings to watch Miami Vice, the TV show, all I can say to Colin and Jamie is “You, my dears, are no Crockett and Tubbs.” Pathetic “plot,” amazing lack of hysterically funny conversation, totally PC attitude, lots of fast cars and shooting; one barely believable drug deal. My three-word review: PA THE TIC.

FLOYD LANDIS: Hey, if he’s “ours,” he’s ours. What’s with canceling the parade in Ephrata? What’s with the backpedaling (awful pun, I know) of MWR, which followed his progress with bated breath until the drug allegations, quickly changing its editorial at that point. Let’s stand up and say, “Hey, he’s Floyd Landis and he’s one of ours (well, okay, he's an “opshtanna”) and we love him regardless.” Besides, there’s no official resolution of this yet, now is there?

ISRAEL: Might have bitten off more than it can chew. True colors coming out when they indiscriminately (intentionally?) hit buildings containing old people and children and continue their efforts to bomb Lebanon into obscurity. Friends of mine from the Middle East describe a totally different Hizbollah than does CNN. And, hey, why doesn’t anyone scream and rant and rave about how much MILITARY money the good old US of A sends to Israel every single year . . . not a measly $100 million, but billions and billions.

POKER UPDATE: Jim McManus went out at #17 last week, I believe. And I have another friend who’s on his way to getting his mug on TV. Shawn Van Asdale tells me he went out at #40 in Vegas last week . . . so watch for him! He’s one of my very favorite friends who is also a lawyer with whom I worked at Seyfarth. Just hope he and Jim don’t end up at the same table one day. I wouldn’t be able to watch! By the way, Jim just wrote a new book about health care in America, called “Physical.” Absolutely wonderful read, if anyone’s interested.

CHRIS: Hurricane coming? Hope not. I have decreed there will be none in Cape Coral this year!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Crockhead said…

    Miami Vice - Never watched it in my life.

    Floyd Landis - I don't like losers who cheat.

    Israel - I don't like winners who cheat.

    Poker update - Never watched it on television. I'm the world's worst poker player. When my friends invite me to play, I ask them if I can just send in my check and stay at home and read.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home