Old Secretary

Thoughts and jottings of an old legal secretary, now retired with lots of time to think and scribble. Look for political comments, life stories and tales of people I know and have known . . .

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

It’s a Mennonite Thing; You Wouldn’t Versteh

Well, hush my mouth. Just as I was trying to get used to my ex-Amish friend blogging about all these movies he’s seen, and after having grown up without seeing a movie myself until I was in high school, what do I see in the June 26 issue of the Mennonite Weekly Review? This interesting little news item from the Kalona Mennonite Church, no less:

The film The Passion of the Christ was shown at KMC on April 9.

Shock and awe, okay? Like I said, it’s a Mennonite thing. I’ll never forget the first movie I ever saw. “Gone With the Wind” was showing at the Harrisonburg theater and, having read the book several times, I was dying to see the movie. I begged and pleaded. I promised to only go see that one. I pouted and threatened, and then I went. I’ll never forget my Mom’s tearful “Would you want Jesus to see you in such a place?” query as I left. I went anyway. I’ve seen lots of movies since then and I still prefer books. My husband, Catholic and urban, shakes his head in wonder at the idea of movies being sinful. Like I said, it’s a Mennonite thing.

And now they’re showing movies – whoops, sorry – “films” in Mennonite churches? My, my, my, my, my, my, my.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home