Old Secretary

Thoughts and jottings of an old legal secretary, now retired with lots of time to think and scribble. Look for political comments, life stories and tales of people I know and have known . . .

Monday, May 29, 2006

The Da Vinci Ho-Hum

The Husband and I went to see the movie, a week after it opened, using free tickets we got in a software purchase deal. We were happy we didn’t put out any cash or spend any time waiting in line.

I had read the book; he had not. Neither of us was impressed with the movie, but I was more disappointed. I generally see movies based on their reviews – if reviews are lukewarm or bad, I figure it’s a movie I’ll love, and vice versa. In the case of Da Vinci, the reviews were on the money. In defense of my "to see or not to see" system, however, “Crash” has become one of my all-time favorites, I laughed and cried (always a good sign) through “Diary of a Mad Black Woman,” hummed happily along with “Hustle and Flow,” will never watch “The Notebook” again, thought “Brokeback Mountain” was boring and stupid, and found “Good Night and Good Luck” too lacking in any detail or story line for my taste -- much like that other acclaimed Clooney movie, "Syriana."

As usual, this book was better than the movie. The movie, however, was easier to follow, and left out some of the book’s twists and turns. The book leaves you hanging; the movie settles the question of who carries Jesus’ bloodline, but by the time they tell you, you’ve long figured it out for yourself.

Ho-hum. Out of five stars, barely one, okay? As The Husband said, “We should have known. Much ado about nothing . . .”

2 Comments:

  • At 2:49 PM, Blogger DeProfit said…

    Well I read both books long ago.

    I saw about 5 minutes of the movie before I was asleep, man I glad for bootlegger!

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Crockhead said…

    Thanks to you for warning me away from Da Vinci, I haven't been to see a movie now for several weeks. Maybe that contributed to my malaise as a blogger. Well, I'm back, ready to write with a vengence.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home