Old Secretary

Thoughts and jottings of an old legal secretary, now retired with lots of time to think and scribble. Look for political comments, life stories and tales of people I know and have known . . .

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Old Secretary: R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Along with a sense of humor, respect can go a long way toward keeping you on the right path with your secretary. In my now advanced age, I have been known to approach new, young assignments with this warning: “Just remember that I’ve done this longer than you’ve been alive and we’ll get along fine.” Treat your secretary with respect and you’ll get it back 100-fold. For the obtuse, here are a few specific hints in the respect category:

Never, ever revise a one-sentence “enclosed please find” letter which you asked your secretary to prepare.

Don’t automatically assume a mistake was the fault of your secretary. Do a little checking before you start screaming. We all know about “assume.”

Cursing and slamming down the phone are not good habits.

Being pleasant and friendly only when you want something is not only childish, but ineffective. I can spot a phony a mile away.

If you’re having a personal conversation you’d like to keep personal, leaving your office door open and assuming I’m not listening is probably not wise, especially if you’ve annoyed me lately. I’m not a non-hearing, non-seeing machine, and things you never wanted anyone to know have a way of making the most delicious fodder for the secretarial grapevine.

Be consistent in your attitude. If we’re friendly when it’s just you and me, then be friendly when you’re with your little lawyer pals, or that partner you’re trying so hard to impress.

Little words go a long way . . . little words like “I’m sorry” and “Thank you” and “Great job” can cover a multitude of sins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home