Old Secretary

Thoughts and jottings of an old legal secretary, now retired with lots of time to think and scribble. Look for political comments, life stories and tales of people I know and have known . . .

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Old Secretary: Allow Your Secretary to Shine

One of the most important things a young attorney can learn is that you can’t do it all by yourself. Inherent in that realization must be the understanding that there are just some things you aren’t good at and, finally, must come the acknowledgement that, oh, my goodness, there really are people who do some things better than you! One of my strong points is my ability to organize, from keeping things in their proper places to creating workable methods for storing and retrieving all kinds of information; from insuring that important data is current and correct, to organizing information in a digestible manner, in short, to do whatever it takes to “get your back” in the information-managing area. Nothing makes me happier than a big mess that needs to be organized with some coherent instructions and a little time. But remember, if you withhold information I need, or cling to your files with infant-like-security-blanket tenacity, or insist on micro-managing the most menial task, I can’t do my job.

In the mid 80’s, when law firms were just beginning to understand the capabilities of technology, the firm at which I worked was one of the first in Chicago to computerize its billing system. I was the person selected to head the new billing department and the office manager and I spent many hours looking at equipment and hardware. After selecting and ordering the necessary items, Jan sat me down and said, “Look. I don’t have time to be bothered with this billing stuff. It’s your baby. Take it and run with it and I don’t want to hear from you unless you have a problem you can’t resolve.” Needless to say, Jan was the best office manager I ever worked for, and though it was a stressful experience, setting up and running that system all by myself remains to this day one of my proudest accomplishments. Over the years, attorneys who have recognized my strengths have saved themselves countless hours by simply explaining what needed to be done and then trusting and allowing me to do it. Give your secretary some credit, giver her the information she needs, help her stretch to her limits, show her you trust her and then turn her loose. It’s a move you’ll never regret. A word to the wise: Always give credit where credit is due, even if it’s only recognition between the two of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home