Old Secretary

Thoughts and jottings of an old legal secretary, now retired with lots of time to think and scribble. Look for political comments, life stories and tales of people I know and have known . . .

Saturday, April 07, 2012

A Real Easter Bunny

The Husband and I have long foregone religious celebrations and high holy days and what have you. We answer aghast questioners with this clever little line: "Given our success with Cliff's medical experiences, every day is Christmas and every Friday's good!" It's worked to calm the condemnation of many a religious zealot, shall we say.

Now that we're retired, we frequent a local restaurant where one of the waitresses, a big, funny, wonderful woman has taken a liking to us. She comes and talks, whether we're in her section or not. She always makes us laugh and is a real day brightener, in her own unique way.

About a week ago, she shuffled her way into the booth next to me and said, "Hey, I know you guys don't have any family down here. How about you come and have barbecue with us on Easter?" She wrote her address on a little card, with her phone number and said, "I really hope you'll come" and walked away.

The Husband is not a social being - for a lot of reasons, and I try to respect that. But, I looked at him and he said, "I know you want to go," giving me the look. I said, "Sometimes you have to be a gracious receiver and, really, how kind and wonderful is it that Andrea thought of us." So, we're going. And I'm grateful for small kindnesses. And I'm so proud of The Husband!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home